Thursday, May 18, 2017

Sophia Beaumont Interview


First off, tell us a little bit about you
I’m originally from Ohio, which is where I live and write. I love chocolate and anything with fur and four legs. When I’m not writing, I’m usually knitting, and I also design patterns sometimes. 

Tell us about your books/What genre do you consider your books? 
The Evie Cappelli series is YA urban fantasy. The first book, THE SPIDER’S WEB, is a twist on the myth of Arachne. It’s about a young woman who wakes up in the hospital after attempting to commit suicide, only to discover she can see ghosts. It’s the first book in a trilogy, which is really all about her recovery and how she goes from the darkest time in her life, with no support system, no one to help her, to taking the lessons she learned during those hard times and her newfound support, and turning those into strengths that will help her stop a vengeful goddess and a cult who want to use her for human sacrifice. 

When did you start writing? 
I started telling stories to other kids at naptime in kindergarten, and I wrote my first short story in first grade. I’ve been pursing publication since I was about 13, when I started sending out really awful query letters. Thankfully, I’ve learned a lot since then.

Why do you write? 
Because I can’t stop! At first it was an escape, but more and more as I’ve gotten older there are stories I want to read that haven’t been written, so I do it myself. 

What would be your choice for a superpower? 
Hands down, I want one of Evie’s powers—in addition to seeing ghosts, she also has the blessing of Athena and can control fibers. That would be so handy when I’m knitting and sewing!

Who is your favorite author? 
This changes often! I don’t know if I can narrow it down to just one. I love Rob Thurman, C.E. Murphy, and Cat Winters. 

What are you reading now? 
At the moment I’m on a historical fiction kick. I’m listening to The Winter Witch by Paula Brackston and I’m reading In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen.

Who is your favorite character to write? 
One of my favorite characters in this series is Drac, Evie’s cat. He’s this big fat tuxedo cat who always knows how to make an entrance. And he has secrets of his own. 

Do you have a writing process? 
I am a dedicated plotter! I have to have an outline to work from. I usually spend a couple of weeks toying around with opening scenes and researching, then I write up my entire outline before I sit down to write. I try to keep to a pretty regular schedule. 

What advice would you give to an aspiring author? 
Find a system that works for you. I spent a lot of very unproductive years because I hadn’t found the right process for me. I have a lot of unfinished novels that will probably die of old age on my hard drive, if they haven’t already been lost or corrupted. Find a system that works for you—plotting, pantsing, some kind of hybrid—and stick to it. 

What inspired you to pursue writing?
 I was an only child growing up in the middle of nowhere. I had nothing to do except make up games and stories, which I would act out. My mom loves to read, and she made sure I had access to as many books as possible as a kid. I was super awkward, so most of the time I preferred being around books more than people. Writing just seemed like a natural fit. 

What are your favorite TV shows/Movies to watch in between writing? 
I love Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries and Bletchley Circle. I’m also a huge fan of Charmed, and usually watch the entire series about once a year, once every two years. 

What are your current projects? 
Right now I’m in revision mode. I’m just wrapping up Evie’s second book, THE FERRYMEN, which will be out in the fall. I’m also querying a murder mystery, and revising a genderbent, steampunk retelling of The Three Musketeers, as well as a Nancy Drew-inspired mystery.

Do you have anything specific you want to say to readers? 
Recovery is a huge theme in both THE SPIDER’S WEB and THE FERRYMEN. As someone who has struggled with mental health issues for most of my life, it was really important to me that Evie’s story be both realistic and hopeful. I really want readers who have struggled with things like anxiety and depression to be able to read her books and know they aren’t alone, they can turn things around, they can ask for help. There is a future to work toward. 


Quick Fire:
Cats or dogs? Both! I love dogs, but right now I only have cats.
Coffee or tea? Tea. 
Favorite food? Chips and salsa.
Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream? Chocolate!
What are 3 things you never leave home without? Cell phone, pens, car keys.
Laptop or desktop? Laptop.
Who are 3 famous people you would want to hang out with? Hm…I want to talk politics and feminism with Emma Watson, writing and ghost stories with Cat Winters, and…I don’t know about a third. I don’t really follow celebrities much. Maybe J.K. Rowling can join Cat and me for dinner?
TV or Movies? This is a hard one! Probably TV. 





Visit me on my AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE to borrow any of my books for FREE!

Best-selling author of Wake the Dead! On Amazon Kindle here!

All Artwork and covers of my works by William J. Kenney & Carlos Cara

All maps, names and content copyright Ashenclaw Studios 2014 unless otherwise noted.



No comments:

Post a Comment